2012 Grant Awardees
The 2012 Research Alliance awardees represent 20 scientists from 8 research organizations pursuing projects in marine life sciences, nanotechnologies and medical device development.
New Tools and Mechanisms to Combat Aquaculture Diseases
This team is working to develop new commercial products to promote fitness and prevent disease for finfish and shellfish in aquaculture facilities.
• David Rowley, Ph.D University of Rhode Island
• Marta Gomez-Chiarri Ph.D., University of Rhode Island
• David R. Nelson, Ph.D., University of Rhode Island
• Dale Leavitt, Ph.D, Roger Williams University
• Roxanna Smolowitz, DVM, Roger Williams University
Revealing Active Responses of the Ocean State’s Marshes to Climate Change
This team will work to determine whether marshes are net “sinks” or “sources” of gasses.
• Serena Moseman-Valtierra, Ph.D, University of Rhode Island
• Breea Govenar, Ph.D, Rhode Island College
Understanding Coastal Environmental Change Past, Present and Future
This team will work to better understand future environmental change at our nation’s coastlines.
• Timothy Herbert, Ph.D, Brown University
• Linda Amaral-Zettler, Ph.D, Brown University
• Tatiana Rynearson, Ph.D, University of Rhode Island
Climate-Driven Impacts on the Formation and Persistence of Macroalgal Blooms
This team will use genomic data to predict and monitor harmful macroalgal blooms.
• Carol Thornber, Ph.D, University of Rhode Island
• J.D. Swanson, Ph.D, Salve Regina University
Characterization of Novel Anaerobic Nitrogen-fixing Bacteria Isolated from Narragansett Bay
This team will work to better understand nitrogen cycles in the Bay with the goal of improving water quality practices.
• Bethany Jenkins, Ph.D, University of Rhode Island
• Chris Deacutis, Ph.D, Narragansett Bay Estuary Program
Enhancement of Chronic Wound Healing with Non-invasive Local Skin Vibratory Stimulation
This team is working to demonstrate the proof of principle of the effectiveness of vibratory stimulation on wound healing.
• John Reichner, MD, Rhode Island Hospital
• Shai Schubert, Perfuzia Medical Inc.
Lab on Paper Technology for Immunodiagnostics
This team is working to produce new point-of-care immunodiagnostic devices.
• Mohammed Faghri, Ph.D, University of Rhode Island
• C.N. Anagnostopoulos, Ph. D, Labonachip, LLC
Graphene-Polymer Composite Materials
This team is working to develop a uniquely functional graphene-polymer composites.
• Robert Hurt, Ph.D, Brown University
• Arijit Bose, Ph.D, University of Rhode Island