RI Business Plan Competition Names Six Finalists
Published on April 25, 2013
The Rhode Island Business Plan Competition today announced that it has named six finalists in the 2013 competition that will award prizes valued at more than $200,000. The finalists have proposed new businesses that span the biotech, consumer, health care, fashion, and manufacturing industries. To win prizes, applicants must agree to establish or continue operations in Rhode Island.
Entrepreneur Track Finalists
- EndoSphere Surgical, Inc. - Developing a method to reposition laparoscopic surgical tools to replicate open surgery providing surgeons with full control, making laparoscopic procedures easier, faster, and safer to perform. Principal applicant: Melvin Prenovitz
- Haverhill Incorporated - Designing fashion-forward fine jewelry for women that is price accessible and easily wearable. Principal applicant: Alison Cariati
- TennisHub - Looks to connect tennis players to opportunities to play tennis and process online bookings and payments. Principal applicant: Eddie Ross
Student Track Finalists
- Azavy - An online store for 3D printed goods that crowd-sources manufacturing, enabling consumers to buy products designed and 3D printed by users. Principal applicant: Tyler Benster, Benster, Brown University
- Fashion-Force - An online, business-to-business social community and trade show alternative to cost effectively and efficiently connect and grow a fashion based business. Principal applicant: Melissa Ellard, Bryant University
- Optitrum - A handheld, non-invasive glucose meter to manage diabetes that utilizes a small saliva sample to determine glucose concentrations in the body almost instantaneously. Principal applicant: Jenny Yu, Brown University
The winners will be announced May 14 at The Garage at the Rhode Island Convention Center in Providence, sponsored by the Greater Providence Chamber of Commerce. All finalists will present their business plans at The Garage.
In addition to awarding prizes, the competition hosts educational events in the months leading up to the application deadline in early April. They include business development, financial planning, and presentation skills workshops. In addition, the competition hosts the annual Rhode Island Elevator Pitch Complete competition information, including rules, application procedures, guidelines, and business plan resources, is available at RI Business Plan Competition.